Sunday, February 18, 2007

Just Enough Snow, Lord, to Sled...

There is snow on the ground at the farm today... not much... not enough to go sledding. There is enough to provide a white blanket in the woods at the base of the trees. You can see the ripple of the land as it marches up and down to the far ridge. The bright green of the black pine and the tall, stalky locust tree shapes are mixed with the other leafless tree shapes frosted with snow. The sky is backlit with the sun shining behind the snow clouds. It is a perfect winter day.
The brightness of the snow reminds me of the old hymn... "Lord Jesus, I long to be perfectly whole. I want Thee forever to live in my soul. Break down every idol, cast out every foe. Now wash me and I shall be whiter than snow. Lord Jesus, Thou see-est I patiently wait. Come now, and within me a new heart create. To those who have sought Thee, Thou never saidst No— Now wash me and I shall be whiter than snow".
My soul feels drab and a little dirty this Lenten season. I am caught between the to do list, the want to list and the inertia that comes over me during this time of year. Like the hymn writer, I long to be made whole, clean, fresh... no great sins of murder or adultery or drunkeness... just the ordinary daily drain of sloth, lack of caring, passionless living. Lent suits my mood perfectly.
I do not need to give up, to do without for Lent. I need to acquire... laughter... light... warmth... honest self appraisal... responsible action in search of wholeness... color for my monochrome interior landscape...life with a new heart and a bright white canvas on which to splash the colors of creation. I want to go sledding...
This fallow time gives me a chance to prepare... to prime the painted walls of my life and get ready for the new colors to come. As I remember and cover the past year of my soul’s journey with the primer of repentance for sins done and undone, I can let go and get ready for what is coming... joy in the morning... daffodils for the soul... springtime in the heart... effortless rejoicing in the Love that will not let me go... new ways to be the translucent Body of Christ in the world that needs the blessed gospel light.

No comments: