Friday, February 9, 2007

sowing and reaping... tears and joy

It has been cold at the farm... cold but clear. The light has been bright and sharp edged. When the sun comes up over the mountain, I can watch the light spread over the distant peaks coming to me. Yesterday, the warmth of the Holy One’s Light washed over me all day long.
When I fed the barn kitties, Bud, Helen and Prince Hal were there. They twined around my legs... purred when I picked them up, let me pet them and gave me their blessing. That doesn’t happen often. They are semi-wild and often fearful when I come. I stayed awhile in the barn letting the cats love on me while I love them. We both needed it.
The cows began to bellow... the cow version of yelling. They had heard the mule coming down the hill and had gathered to be fed. I was too slow getting there and they let me know. I loaded the hay, opened the gate and drove to the glen. They were standing in a group, looking at me as I drove around the curve... their heads turned towards me... Tilly with her magnificent horns... Sassy with her new baby bull Betty... Annie great with child... her twin Fannie... Buttercup with her mule ears hanging low... the two yearlings... Annabelle swinging her head back and forth impatiently.... and Ferdinand our sweet old bull.
I went to the tack shed and got the feed, put it out quickly so I wouldn’t get stepped on in the rush. I spread the hay in the hay ring for the day and then put some hay on the ground. For some reason, our cows like to eat their hay spread out. Daddy used to fuss about them standing in the middle of it while they ate, wasting it. He had an elaborate system worked out to prevent that... it didn’t work very well. So I laughed as I spread the hay, hearing Daddy’s voice telling me how to do it right.
And then I stood and watched... waited. Barney our yellow cur stray and Betty were playing a slow game of catch. Baby calves run for the sheer pleasure of it with their tails straight up in the air. Betty will still let me pet him if I am still and wait for him to come to me. Cows are curious creatures, like cats, and they will investigate you. Like a cat, a cow’s tongue is slightly raspy and they will lick you as a greeting. Betty tiptoed over, nose extended, sniffing, to my outstretched hand and licked me. My giggle scared him and he scampered away, tail held high.
On Thursdays, I teach two classes of picture matting and framing, each three hours long. As a functional introvert, six hours of extroversion in one day wears me out. But yesterday there were several grace notes that kept me lifted up... students who told me how much fun they were having in class... completed pictures framed and matted by students who were scared to death three weeks ago... an unexpected invitation to share lunch with friends in town...a nap in the sun... It was a sweet day.
Last night I stepped out the front door and looked up. In the country there is very little ambient light and we are on top of a small hill that is not closed in by trees. In the dark night sky, the stars and planets glowed. There was no competition from the moon and each little light was so distinct... so sharp... so beautiful... so many. It took my breath away. That was my bedtime blessing.
The Psalmist says "They that sow in tears shall reap in joy"... Yesterday I gathered joy and I am grateful.

No comments: