Thursday, April 5, 2007

Resurrection Party

Every year it was the same pre-Easter ritual. No matter how strained the budget, mama would find the money to take us shopping for new Easter dresses and shoes. I know now she went without new clothes herself in order to give us this gift and that makes this memory special for me. As a child, she wore hand me down clothes from a rich cousin because her family was too poor to provide much beyond the basics. The Easter finery for us was a present to the little girl that never got to Easter shop. The dresses were always pastel colored and the shoes were white or black patent leather. One year was different, however. I was twelve and wearing my first pair of heels... small, cobbler heels... but heels nonetheless... white with a small leather bow... the sign of my growing up. The shoes, the dress and the gloves were an outward sign of an important change in my life, a new stage of growth.
Michael and I continued this ritual with our children. We have the annual Easter picture with the Easter finery through the years. Sometimes parents and friends were a part of these pictures. I can see my children growing up and the fashion changes in these pictures. Memories of looking for just the right dress, or hat, or shoes... time spent together laughing and playing and trying on all the shoes and dresses... important passages marked by the change in dress. Adam’s toddler sailor suit gave way to his first coat and tie. Alison’s first hat, Megan’s first pair of heels, little girl dresses with twirly skirts changing into beautiful grown up dresses and suits... what a lovely way to remember their Easter seasons with us.
I don’t see this Easter ritual at our church very much. It, like other rituals from my childhood, seem trivial when compared to the suffering of Jesus during Holy Week. The extravagance of an Easter shopping spree seems not to be in keeping with the true meaning of Easter. Then I remember Mary who poured a whole bottle of expensive perfume over Jesus’ feet and I wonder.... perhaps an extravagant response is the perfect symbol for Easter. Like Joseph’s coat of many colors and the fresh clothes given to the prodigal son by his father, like the Easter dresses bought lovingly for my sister and me, new clothes at Easter can be our way of celebrating the new life that comes during this season.
When I go to a party, I dress up. When I go to a wedding, I dress up. Shouldn’t I dress up for this party of Easter? Shouldn’t my outward self reflect the inner changes in my soul? If I can dress up for a Margaritaville party, I can dress up for God. If I can look my best for a wedding, I can let my outer self reflect the inner light. A friend of mine who is older told me he believes we live up to how we look. He may be right. Anybody want to go shopping?

No comments: