Sunday, December 16, 2007

Joyful, Joyful, I Adore Thee

It is the Joy Sunday of Advent. I am making a joyful list. Grandchildren singing "pum pa pum pum" and "fa la la la" over the phone, children coming home for Christmas as healthy, happy adults married to those they love, clear crisp cold air, rain in the night, Junie B. Jones who is the leader of the cow herd, Michael’s good health, my mom’s presence with us this Christmas, the sight of the sunrise over the mountain top, pine trees dancing to the accompaniment of the tune played by winter wind, good friends who surround us at every turn, a farm where we can work and play and savor the natural world that surrounds us, deer grazing by the high barn standing still and watching us watch them... I am overflowing with joy.
Joy for me is not happiness. Happiness is fun but temporary. I can be happy with a new dress or a clean house or a good book. Joy for me is happiness and gratitude combined, a permanent way of living life. Joy ripples through my soul like a song that never ends. I have much that gives me joy and much joy to share.
I remember how I felt when I walked the aisle to join our church when I was twelve. I was filled with joy, overflowing with joy, bouncing down the aisle to begin my life of faith. I am so grateful that pilgrimage began in joy, a joy that has sustained me when the way has grown dark and narrow at times. That joy kept me coming back to church, the place where God’s people gather. Even when we weren’t behaving like Christians in church, the memory of the first joy held me fast and would not let me leave the church. There is joy to be found at church.
I remember the joy I felt when each of our children were born. The overwhelming soul full busting out all over joy of seeing and holding new life that was created by Michel and me. It still brings tears to my eyes when I revisit those days in my memory. There were many days of joy as a mother along with many days of trials and tribulation, but the joy was always the dominant melody line. Now when I hear our daughters’ laughter with their children, see the delight they experience with them, my joy is expanded and increased. Mary felt the same wonder and joy I did but her joy must have been tempered by the mystery of the incarnation. Not everyone gets angels singing for a birth announcement, and shepherds and wise men dropping by for adoration and gift giving. The Bible says Mary kept all that happened in her heart and pondered them.
Pondering joy... pondering mystery... pondering God’s presence among us... cause for joy and celebration. I am ringing the bells of joy in my soul today, anticipating the birth of Love among us, a baby boy named Jesus. Jesus, like all boys, will grow and play and get into trouble and make his parents wonder if he will ever amount to anything. He grows in to his calling and becomes the Face of God living as we live, a brotherly bridge to the One who births us all.
Joyful, joyful, we adore thee, God of glory, Lord of Love... Giver of immortal gladness, fill us with the light of day...Joyful music leads us Sunward in the triumph song of life. Today I choose to live joyfully, adoring the One who made me, who fills my soul with light and laughter, who has lead me all my life and leads me still with joyful heart music as I mosey on home to the Source of all Joy. Thanks be to God. Peggy Hester

1 comment:

Malcolm Lewis Marler said...

Peggy-Malcolm just forwarded your blogsite to me-wow! you are a beautiful writer (not surprising to me at all, given that beauty seems to surround you.)

I hope 2008 continues to bless you, Michael and your families with good health and joy. love, mary