Saturday, January 26, 2008

Jesus Calls Us... and Mrs. Davis, Mr. Thompson and Mrs. Tyre

When I was twelve, Mrs. Davis asked me if I would lead the Sunbeam Choir. I knew all the children’s songs by heart. I had been singing them all my life... Jesus Loves Me, Jesus Loves the Little Children, Climb, Climb Up Sunshine Mountain, I Will Make You Fishers of Men. Many of the songs children sang had motions, little dances, that accompanied the words. Being Baptist we didn’t call them dances since we were forbidden to dance or drink alcoholic beverages, go to movies on Sunday and in some churches, card playing was frowned upon. I jumped at the chance to lead a choir of three and four year olds. My musical values included singing with joy and making a joyful noise was more important than hitting the notes. We had great fun and the congregation looked forward to seeing and hearing the little ones in worship.
That was one of my first calls to discipleship. Clayattville Baptist Church took many chances with me, asking me to do and be what I had neither years nor experience for. They believed in me and called me out to use what they perceived to be my unique gifts. When I failed, or blew it, I never heard words of judgement or shame. I was one of their children and they wanted me to have a chance to stretch my wings and fly for God’s sake. They were willing to listen to my mistakes as I played the piano in Sunday night worship. They believed I had a special gift and gave me the two essential requirements for growing as a disciple.
The first gift was the gift of presence. Every Sunday I knew Mrs. Tyre would be teaching my Sunday School class, Mr. Thompson would be leading our Training Union group, Mrs. Morris would be leading choir, Mr. Bland would be a greeter and take up the offering, Mrs. Bennet would be the nursery lady, Brother Kannon would be preaching and they all knew my name. They knew who I was and what I could do. They watched me grow, taught me, hugged me, included me in the life of the larger church and did not keep me confined to the children’s section. My commitment to intergenerational church began there in the family of God at Clyattville Baptist. I was important to these adults and they showed their faith in me by asking me to work with them in church. How I wish all children could feel as important and included in the life of the congregation as I did. Children have so much to offer the kingdom of God and are not often included in the working life of the church. We lose a great deal by not including them, teaching them, calling them out, affirming their gifts and letting them practice discipleship with us.
The second gift was the gift of discernment. Because I was known, had been known since I was very young, they were able to name some gifts I did not know I had. My first experiences with the creative happened at church... Vacation Bible School crafts ( gilded cigar boxes and macaroni covered creations of all kinds), arranging flowers with my mother for the communion table, singing, learning the patterns for directing music. My introverted self, unsure of my place in this world, was given a front row place to stand and shine as I tried out some of these things they thought I could do. Mrs. Tyre thought I could speak to the whole church so she helped me craft my testimony. One Sunday in worship, I stood and said what I believed about God. Mr. Thompson thought I could accompany him when he sang a solo even though I had been taking piano lessons for only nine months. I did. He sang over my mistakes, brushed them away and asked me to play for him again. Those adults trusted me, trusted God had something special for me to do. They were willing to call me out, help me find my gifts, put my feet on the path of discipleship and showed me how to walk and run and stumble and get up and go again.
I wonder if Peter, Andrew, James and John felt that same sense of "specialness" when Jesus called their names? Called them to come with him, to learn from him, to become like him...I wonder if they had any idea what they were getting into? Probably not. I had no idea where I was going all those years ago when Mrs. Davis called me out. I am grateful for all those grown-ups, some long gone now, who called my name and called me out, set my feet dancing on the paths of righteousness with their belief in my talents. I am grateful Peter, Andrew, James and John came when they were called, bringing their unique gifts to be shared with the early Christian church. I still hear my name being called every now and then. And like my old basset Phoebe, I raise my head and listen, wag a little, get up and try something new all over again. I am grateful to be called and grateful for the different kinds of call that include us all. I pray that my hearing will not fade and that I will hear God’s voice, God’s call until I lie down for my final rest. Peggy Hester

No comments: