Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Snow dancing...

February 27, 2008
Barney and I danced in the snow this morning. As I walked out in my many layered clothing to go feed the cows, he greeted me with a running leap and an invitation to dance. We ran and circled and laughed and barked and made the snow fly up in the air. It was hard to believe this was the same dog who circled our home for weeks searching for food, fearful of others, living on the edge of family, bedded down in the high barn at night. He still approaches you most of the time from the rear, shyly slipping his nose into your hand, waiting for a pat. But every once in awhile he forgets himself and is a huge bundle of canine celebration. He plays tag and catch with the new calves, loping along side them much to the fury of the mama cows. They are not amused.
Maybe it is the sight of the pure white shining snow layered on the bare trees, hiding the cars, frosting the evergreens... maybe it is the sharp clean smell of the cold snowy air that fills my lungs as I step out of the truck... maybe it is the sound of Bud Barn Cat greeting me with a chorus of meows... maybe it is Junie B laying her head on my shoulder watching me put her feed in the bucket... whatever the reason, this morning I am joyful and dancing in the snow. In the snowy fields, the still frozen waters, God has restored my soul, and I am grateful.
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want... He leads me beside still waters, he restores my soul... Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalms 23

No comments: