Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Strays...

I was working outside getting the yard pretty for Julianna’s wedding reception when Gary called. He had some sawdust for Junie B’s stall and needed me to come pick it up. “While you’re here, look at the stray horse in my pasture.” I drove the mule through the pasture to the gate in the fenceline that separates our farms, headed towards Gary’s sawmill. As I shoveled sawdust into the bed of the mule, Gary told me about the horse. We assumed the horse belonged to another neighbor since he was wearing a halter. I walked out into the field towards an old, skinny, battered horse who raised up his head and walked to meet me. I petted him and he stood quietly as I scratched his ears and chin. His blonde mane was a contrast to his tan body. Poor soul... Before I left the sawnill, I asked Gary to let me know what happened to the old horse.
A few hours later at supper time, Gary called again. “You want two horses for free?” Our neighbor was swamped trying to care for five horses with coyotes running them at night. His sixty hour work week left him little time to care for them and he was struggling financially to feed them. The drought has fried our pastures and he had no hay. He wanted to find good home for the old gelding and a three year old filly. After supper with mama, Michael and I drove over to look at them.
The filly stood in her stall, her head hovering over the half door, and the old gentleman horse stood with his head snuggled up next to hers. Friends... more than friends... companions of the heart. J.J. began to tell us their stories. The fifteen year old gelding, Dakota, had been his trail riding buddy for eight years. J.J. put his young son up on Dakota’s back and the old horse stood patiently as we talked. His long lanky frame filled the space between us as we listened to J.J. The filly, Dixie, was a dark bay with a sweet face. She was small and delicate, friendly and shy at the same time. How could we say no to these two who needed a home?
We came back, got the stock trailer and drove back to J.J.’s barn. He loaded them up and followed us back to settle them in to our stable for the night. It was hard for him to let them go even though he knew he was doing the right thing. He kept giving us instructions... Dakota likes a certain kind of bit... keep them stabled until they have a chance to settle in... introduce Junie B to them while they are in the stalls... they have had their shots and are wormed... After a final pat, he drove home leaving us standing in bemused shock at our newly acquired full stable... Junie B, the donkeys Shirley T and Blacknosed Kate, Dakota and Dixie.
Like other strays before them, these two have settled in at Sabbath Rest Farm and have been welcomed. Vince and Tina came and brought treats. David and Dianne came. Dianne is in love with Dixie. Formerly afraid of horses, she now gets it... the heart connection between human and horse. Mama, the Queen of Strays, loves looking up the hill to see them grazing in the pasture. Gary came to help pull a wire from Dixie’s hoof. His gentling voice calmed her as we doctored her. And Junie B has a family now.
The first morning I took Junie B to meet Dixie and Dakota as they stood in their stalls. Nickering, nuzzling, neighing, nipping... the getting to know you ritual for horses is exciting to watch. After lunch, I let them all out together. All three ran together up the hill, kicking up their heels, laughing, running in body and spirit. Home, sweet home for Junie B who needed companions, and for Dakota and Dixie who needed sanctuary. Tears blurred my vision but my heart saw clearly the joy...
I wonder if this is how Jesus felt when he began collecting his ragtag band of strays? Hotheaded fisherman, despised tax collector, the doctor, the women... I am one of Jesus’ strays, brought home from wandering in the wilderness, claimed by a Love that will not let me go. Today I give thanks for all of us strays who have found sanctuary for our souls. We are no longer strangers in a strange land. And I pray for all those who still wander, searching for their heart’s ease in a world full of strays trying to find their way to a home. I am grateful for Sabbath Rest Farm, home for strays of all kinds, four legged and two legged alike. I am blessed.

No comments: