Monday, April 27, 2009

My Favorite Springs...

It is truly spring at last in the mountains. We have had hot (80 degree) days, three in a row, with some scattered showers. Even the pesky hawthorn tree redeems itself in spring with its beautiful blossoms. Here are some of my favorite springs...
The fragrance of the crab apple trees in full bloom that circle our house... the sight of dogwood tree blossoms illuminating the green dark woods... the sound of peepers... driving up our gravel road, making the curve and seeing the four young does bedded down for the night in the pasture...the smells of turned dirt and freshly cut grass... the sound of Gary the Hawk keening overhead... horses running across green fields kicking their heels up... the earthy, raw smell of manure that reminds me not all of nature smells good or looks pretty... hayfields in all their green glory after spring rains... the finch that has made its nest in the grapevine wreath on the front porch with her babies crying for food all day long... the glorious symphony of birdsong that comes as light breaks over the mountains... the sound of creeks and springs running, trickling, gushing, waterfalling their way down to the French Broad River. The annual return of spring is a miracle that never ceases to amaze me. I am trying to truly see the depth and breadth of new life around me this springtime, keep my nose up and my eyes open for the sights and sounds and smells of God With Us.
One of my favorite Psalms lyrically lists all the ways we can see God’s presence in our natural world. It is long with seven stanzas. This week I will read aloud one stanza each morning and take time to sing and give thanks for this one of a kind miracle of spring. If you want to read along, look up the 104th Psalm. It’s a springtime beauty.

No comments: