Thursday, January 3, 2013

Dusky teal blue soul...

It is so old I have forgotten when and where it came from. It was way too large for me in my young skinny days but I loved the color, a dusky teal, so I bought it anyway. It was one of the first items made from recycled plastic bottles. For years it hung on me but as time passed, I grew to size. Surprisingly warm and durable, I am wearing it now as I write this gray winter morning. Many other sweat suits have come and gone but this two piece set is still a favorite. It will probably be in my closet when I die and the children will have to decide whether to burn it or donate it.
I was a mother with children at home, then an emptying nest mother and now a grandmother while wearing this set. As my life has changed, these clothes have stayed the same. Only, I have changed. I wonder if our souls when we come into this world are like my teal suit... sized and waiting for us to grow into them.
If I am growing a soul, every experience in my life...joys, griefs, work, family, friends, love, loss, seasons... is an opportunity for crucifixion, transformation, redemption, resurrection. Like the recycled plastic clothing I wear, old things can become new again... even me.
O God, who are you that you should be mindful of me? And yet I believe because of Jesus’ life, death and life again that you are a present help in times of trouble. Transform my living into a growth spurt for my dusky teal blue soul, please God, that I may love thee more dearly and follow thee more nearly day by day. Amen.

No comments: