Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Mardi Gras Parades Past


When I look in the mirror these days, I see pieces of other faces looking back at me. Grandma’s hooded eyes, Aunt Dada’s mouth filled with Mama’s teeth, Daddy’s salt and pepper hair as well as his freckles…I am a living sampler bearing the signs and shapes and sounds of all who have gone before. It is like an unruly Mardi Gras parade of all the characters in my past.  My children and their children carry these same reminders of family they never knew. Sometimes these bits and pieces of the past can reassemble in such a way that someone is said to be a carbon copy of a forbear. Unsettling and reassuring, this embodiment of our past tickles my fancy.

Scientists are delving into the mysteries of the brain. New discoveries will help us understand all sorts of disease as well as explain the biological inner workings of our lumpy grey matter. Our brains, like our bodies and faces, carry the memory of our ancient families and our current ones. Did my instinctive feel for and love of music come from a great-grandmother I never knew who was an opera singer? I wonder if she felt the same rush of emotion I feel when I hear the transcendent sound of voices singing the Hallelujah Chorus.  My children tell me I never cooked like other moms. There was always something new and alarming served at the dinner table. Was that my Great-Aunt Dada, an accomplished cook, trying to be reborn? We are pieces of our past reassembled in a new pattern that is not so new after all.

Some of us are answer seekers. Like Thomas the Doubting Disciple and Bill Nye the Science Guy, we need to know how and why and when and where. This quest for understanding has produced wonderful knowledge… penicillin, rocket ships, telescopes. Question askers of a different sort create art of all kinds as they seek to express the river of new life that runs through their souls. There are those among us who use words to try to capture the mysteries of our Source, to ask the God questions in language. And, there are those who try to experience God through music, meditation, ritual, worship, sweat lodges, whirling to an inner need to feel and taste and touch the Untouchable.  

Whatever our past, however our brains are wired, whoever we are a compilation of, we are all a grand pastiche, a mixed media collage of a God who has no beginning and no end.  What a lovely puzzle this is, one we cannot see entirely put together on the card table, but beautiful nonetheless.  So, I live with the mysteries of how I came to be who I am and how you came to be who you are. I rest in the assurance that we are all kin. Like family all over the world, we are all a little crazy and a little wise, but we belong to each other. Someday we will understand but for now, I am grateful for my family and grateful for all the ways of being in this world.

God, I give thanks for the Mardi Gras parade of my past… all of those whose memories I carry with me, known and unknown.  Most of all though, I am grateful for your memory and your presence in my life’s parade. Love you…

No comments: