Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Lentangle IV...Are ye able?



The Journey to Jerusalem passage I have been reading this week is the story of sibling rivalry among the disciples. Two of the disciples, brothers, got to talking and decided they deserved to sit on either side of Jesus in his glory. So, they caught Jesus off to the side and asked if he would do something for them. He, like any good parent, asked what it was they wanted before he committed himself to the unknown. They laid their request out and Jesus’ response was …You don’t know what you are talking about… and then a question…Are you able to drink my cup and be baptized as I will be? By then the others caught on to what was happening and got ticked at James and John. Jesus had a family meeting and laid out the rules. Those who would be first or greatest, must be servant to all. No lording it over your brothers and sisters.

One of the old hymns drawn from this passage was a favorite invitation song at Clyattville Baptist Church. “Are ye able, said the Master?” Most of us, myself included, subscribe to the notion that we are indeed able. Despite all the evidence to the contrary, most of the time, I live with the illusion of being in control, able. We live as if our long term care insurance can stave off the fate that awaits us in our old age. Our children will all grow up without struggle or pain to become loving, kind geniuses who will change the world into a better place because we are able parents. My faith will provide all I need in times of trial and I will triumph eventually because I am an able Christian. Tarzan chest thumping accompanied by the proudly spoken words, “I am able” echo James and John’s response to Jesus’ question. And like them, we know not whereof we speak.

One of my Grandma’s favorite sayings was, “Pride goeth before a fall”. Often when all is going well in my life, I hear her voice in my inner ear reminding me not to get too cocky, not to believe in the illusion of my control, not to think I am the master of my fate. Walk humbly, the prophet said, not ably. Walk aware that you are not the center of the universe and have no business lording it over all your brothers and sisters. All of life, trials and tribulations, laughter and joy, accomplishments and failures, are a gift and not a result of our ableness, our abilities, our control.

On this lovely sunny daffy down dilly spring day, my heart leaps in joy, Lord, towards you. In my ignorance and lack of control, I find in you a resting place. You are my final destination, my home, my safety net when I stumble and fall from the tightrope that is my life. Have pity on me, Lord, when I crow like a rooster, proud of what I have done or who I am. I am indeed, unable to live without your abiding presence to sustain and challenge my limited knowledge. I love you. Help me to do you proud. Amen.

No comments: