Monday, March 31, 2008

I am out of breath today...

I am out of breath today, the breath of life. I weep for my friend who’s eight year old daughter’s awful death years ago broke his fatherly heart. I weep for my friend who has her son dying in her home. I weep for Mary as she stands by Mary Etta listening to the breaths come more slowly. I weep for Deweese as he buries his wife Elsie this morning. I weep for my friend who is now entering the new and unwanted role of widow... so much sorrow.
In our homecoming group last night we struggled with where God is when terrible awful unfair painful death comes. After much back and forthing with sharing of personal stories of loss and resolution (or not), Michael nailed it for me. When our children die, God is weeping with us. When our spouses die and we feel so alone, God feels alone, too. When we are dying and afraid of what is to come, God feels afraid. God is so near to us that our beings are inseparable.
Maybe Paul nailed it too when he wrote "For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels or principalities, nor things present or things to come, not powers, nor height or depth, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." Wherever we stand, whatever we feel, however we live, whoever we are, God will always be present. God’s love for us breaks his heart when our hearts are broken. Our tears mingle with God’s tears as we weep and mourn for those we have lost to death.
A friend sent me the following video and I have found new words to describe the indescribable, the experience of the Mystery. We are created in wonderful awe filled ways that we do not understand. When I hear someone tell their story in this way, I am overcome with gratitude for the mysteries of life and death that live in these bodies of ours. For now it is enough to rest in the knowledge that I only know in part. I can never know the "rest of the story" until I die. But what I do know... God is love and God loves me... is sufficient for today.
I watched in awe as this scientist discusses her stroke that lead to
very interesting insights. I hope you'll take the 18 minutes to watch
it....it is well worth the time.
Simone
The TED video:http://www.microclesia.com/?p=320Her own site:http://drjilltaylor.com/
=
Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL Travel Guides.
.AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; }

No comments: