Friday, April 4, 2008

I sing because I have a song...

I woke up this morning to unexpected sunshine and birdsong. The weather report predicting rain today was wrong (not an uncommon experience in the mountains) and I am grateful. This morning I needed sunshine and singing birds and spring green and bright daffodils to remind me that life still holds the promise of growth and joy. It has been a painful prelude to the cantata of this new season, full of illness and death, endings that are not yet beginnings. I find that all experiences of grief now awaken memories of past grief and it brings a song of gratitude as well as sorrow to my soul.
As I opened my Bible this morning, I read the 121st Psalm, a Song of Ascents. Scholars cannot agree on the exact meaning of the title, Song of Ascents. The poetry of this old song lifts me up out of the miry clay of sorrow. "I lift up my eyes to the hills. From whence does my help come? My help comes from the Lord who made heaven and earth. He will not let your foot be moved. He who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, he who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade on your right hand. The sun shall not smite you by day nor the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life. The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forevermore."
"A bird doesn’t sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song." Maya Angelou This morning I choose to sing songs of gratitude for all that life brings, not because I have answers but because I have a song. Thanks be to God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your words. They always inspire me. I've been away, traveling with my hubby (retired Navy so he likes to see the world). THought I would drop by and say hello. Thanks for the gentle words.