Friday, December 3, 2010

I remember... I believe

It is the season of waking in the darkness here at Sabbath Rest Farm. Morning light continues to come but it does not call me from sleep. Evening darkness begins falling early and the animals are ready for the shelter of stall and barn by 4:30. The memory of summer light and the length of its days fades as I bundle up in Cuddle Duds, overalls, socks, muck boots, gloves, toboggan and Carrhart jacket to feed horses, donkeys and cows. Dressing for this excursion takes almost as much time as the work itself.
The cold, crisp air bites my nose as I breathe in the winter air. Walking down the hill to the stable I hear the donkeys call for breakfast and see the mist rising from the valleys across the way. The temperature has risen from twenty to twenty five and a high of forty is predicted for today. Sunshine is a gift after days of rain. The rooster is calling the hens out to play in the chicken yard and I hear Barney barking on the walk with Michael.
A poem written by Christina Rossetti is one of my favorites during this season of the year...
In the Bleak Midwinter Christina Rossetti (1872)"
In the bleak mid-winter
Frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron,
Water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, snow on snow,
Snow on snow,
In the bleak mid-winter
Long ago.

Our God, Heaven cannot hold Him
Nor earth sustain;
Heaven and earth shall flee away
When He comes to reign:
In the bleak mid-winter
A stable-place sufficed
The Lord God Almighty,
Jesus Christ.

Enough for Him, whom cherubim
Worship night and day,
A breastful of milk
And a mangerful of hay;
Enough for Him, whom angels
Fall down before,
The ox and ass and camel
Which adore.

Angels and archangels
May have gathered there,
Cherubim and seraphim
Thronged the air,
But only His mother
In her maiden bliss,
Worshipped the Beloved
With a kiss.
What can I give Him,
Poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd
I would bring a lamb,
If I were a wise man
I would do my part,
Yet what I can I give Him,
Give my heart.

In this season of darkness, iron earth and moaning winds, I remember light and warmth and length of days. I remember and rejoice in the seasons of light and darkness, warmth and cold, presence and absence. I pray for all the babies born into this world and all those who are leaving this world... from darkness to light to darkness and light again. Faith in the Creator who gave us the gifts of the seasons and the memory of the Face of God in Jesus Christ will light my path through winter darkness until spring blooms once again. Thanks be to God.

No comments: